Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Bookish Discussion #4 // Libraries vs. Ownership


Over the past three blog posts, I’ve covered my opinions on the issue of bookish aesthetics and whether caring about a book’s appearance makes a reader shallow. (You can find the links here, here, and here.) If you’ll recall, I’ve written these posts in response to some negative opinions on BookTube, and now I want to tackle another issue: the fact that some bookworms get judged for buying a lot of books. 

First of all, let me just say, I do think it’s possible to buy too many books, but only under certain circumstances. If you’re having trouble making ends meet, for instance, spending a hundred dollars on books is not a wise choice, and you would be buying too many books for your situation. On top of that, there is also the issue of space. Sometimes you just don’t have enough room to store your books, and it would be unwise to buy more, as you could suffocate under a pile of books and die. And we can’t ignore that books can become a status symbol, and that those with larger collections can forget why they buy those books in the first place. No one likes a snotty bookworm who lords their book collections over the less fortunate. But aside from a few exceptions, I don’t think you can buy too many books. So let’s talk about why I'm always growing my collection. 

When I was young, I frequented the library, and I eventually reached a point where I had read the majority of the interesting-looking selections on the YA shelf. (It wasn’t a huge shelf, but it was still a grand achievement in my eyes.) At that time, I didn’t own too many books of my own, and it was perfectly natural to borrow the books I wanted to read. But then I got one of my first introductions to the frustration of libraries. After reading and falling in love with THE HUNGER GAMES, not only did I have to wait for CATCHING FIRE to come out, I also had to wait for everyone and his uncle on the waiting list to read it first. It was horribly inconvenient, and I still haven’t recovered from the shock of it (okay, that’s a lie, but hopefully you get the point). Then there was the matter of those books never being on hand again when I wanted to reread them. Consequently, my then-minuscule book collection got its first major kick start when I asked for THE HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE for Christmas. 

Suddenly my reading life was so convenient. I could read those two books as often as I liked. I could finish THE HUNGER GAMES and then read it all over again if I wanted to. There was no one to complain about due dates and late fees and all that lame stuff. Furthermore, I didn’t have to worry about whose grubby hands had touched those books before me (because I can be a bit of a germaphobe). They were mine, and mine alone. And during that glorious time, I began to realize how important ownership was to me. When the physical copies because truly mine, so did the stories themselves. They became more a part of me than I could have ever thought possible. 

So many of the books I libraried during that time have faded from my memory, and if I hadn’t kept detailed records of my reading habits, I wouldn’t even be able to tell you the titles of some of them (and I have a really good memory for book titles). 

Nowadays, with the benefit of hindsight, this feels like a loss. There were so many stories that I read and loved, and I didn’t get to keep them—I didn’t get to cherish them. I feel their absence. One of my biggest goals is to buy copies of all the books I loved during that time so I can remember those parts of myself. 

See, the thing is, when I read stories, I like to absorb them and allow them to shape me (or not, if they’re awful). They become mental scrapbooks for my thoughts, and rereading them strengthens my memory. However, that doesn’t happen with library books anymore. Instead, I feel like I’m reading them with gloves over my mind. I can enjoy the stories, and even engage a little, but they don’t touch me in the same way. I feel more like an observer than a participant, and that bothers me. But I can’t seem to allow myself to experience them in the way that I would like to because, in the end, I have to return them. And it hurts so much more when it feels like I’m returning a piece of myself. As strange and lame as it sounds, I find greater peace and comfort in reading something I know I can keep for the rest of my life. I can allow it to effect me, because I know I won’t have to give it up. I won’t have to feel like there are slices of my soul, lined up on shelves for strangers to paw through and wear out. 

Not to mention, we eventually switched libraries, and our new library didn’t have as great a selection. Sure, we could use interlibrary loan, but we had to pay about three dollars shipping for each book we borrowed that way, and it just seemed more logical to pay money for books I could keep instead of books I had to return. Now that I’m in Virginia, I have a relatively large library with a great book selection at my disposal, and I have been using it. In fact, I prefer to borrow books I’m unsure of, so I don’t have to regret buying them if they’re awful. But if they’re great, I’ll still end up wanting to buy them. 

On top of that, there’s another, larger reason why I prefer to buy books. Authors must eat (strange, I know). They must provide shelter for themselves, and they must wear clothing (unless they are nudists). Not to mention, they sometimes like to go out to the movies, or eat at restaurants, or buy books for themselves, among other things. In order to do all this, it helps if they get payed for the books they write. (You can call me Captain Obvious, if you’d like.) While I realize that my book orders won’t buy an author more than a candy bar, if that, I know that sales add up. And I want to support authors and the industry I love, even if I can only do that in small ways. Libraries are wonderful, yes, and I highly recommend them. But it has always bothered me that, when a library is concerned, an author only gets payed once for something fifty or a hundred people will read. Wouldn’t it be better if they got payed fifty or a hundred times, instead? I would rather pay for my admission to a story, so to speak, even when there is a free ride available. I want to do my own small part to help the publishing industry thrive. 

I could go on and on about my other motivations for buying large quantities of books. But I’ve taken enough time as it is. In the end, regardless of my many reasons, it all boils down to this: buying books is a good thing. Some people don’t have the money, and they shouldn’t feel bad. Some people prefer to avoid clutter, and that’s fine. Some people don’t reread, so buying books feels extraneous. That is okay. Some people just really love libraries, and I support that. I won’t judge you for your book buying choices. They are yours. But I would also like to enjoy my own large book collection without feeling like that makes me shallow, just as you should feel free to enjoy your stamp collection or your bowling ball collection or your taxidermied fish collection. 


What about you, my little coffee beans? What are your book buying habits? Do you prefer to keep your collection small, or are you growing your collection? Do you like libraries, or do you prefer to read books you own?

16 comments:

  1. I really enjoy libraries as a way to try out new books (although, now that I have a Kindle, I tend to give authors a try on there if their books are cheap.) However, I do try to purchase at least some books from each author I read from a first-hand bookstore or on my Kindle. At this point, I have enough funds to do that on a somewhat frequent basis and I feel better for supporting the author.

    I also buy a fair amount of used books, as we have two really nice used book stores near my college. It's just more economical for me as someone who can't buy new books ALL the time.

    I think libraries are a great thing and I wish I could support mine back home a bit more. It's also one of the first things I look for when I go through a new town (I've decided that wherever I live after college ought to have a nice bookstore and a nice library).

    Sorry for the long rant. Good post, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been getting into my library a bit more, because the system is huge and I can request just about anything, but my Kindle is similarly helpful. (For instance, I bought Matched on Kindle for 1.99 and so wasn't too mad when I didn't like the book.) But if I especially love a book, whether I have purchased it on Kindle or merely borrowed it, I will eventually want to buy a copy, as my way of thanking the author for writing the book. I don't always have the funds for it, but when I do, it brings me joy.

      I don't buy as many used books anymore, but I still do to an extent (I've acquired about twenty this year, so far). And it is a little freeing pay fifty cents on a used book I am unsure about with the understanding that, jf I love it, I can go ahead and buy it new, and if I hate it, then I've dodged a bullet.

      I am teaching myself to make friends with the library again. I have had a couple bad experiences with libraries, and I think that has colored them for me a little. But I am slowly coming to terms with them again.

      No worries. I love reading your comments, and long comments are the best. :) Thank you! :)

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. I have never really divulged myself in the world of libraries: the whole dimension of due-dates, late fees and other peoples' stained and crippled books scares me. I think they're a really great concept, don't get me wrong - FREE BOOKS?! - but I just prefer to have my own copy to play around with if and when it suits me. The points you raised are all super good! I especially revel in the fact that buying a copy of a book can definitely aid amassing sales - every little helps and and all that!

    That being said, man do I wish I have the money to be able to buy books more frequently!!

    By the way, I tagged you in the "Dragon Loyalty Award" if you wish to take part. Check it out if you want - hope you can give it a go; would love to respond to your facts!!

    https://introtoblurb.wordpress.com/2016/03/30/the-dragon-loyalty-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a little stressful. And makes me a little panicky when a book is due, and unrenewable, and I'm only fifty pages in. I had to delete everything from my schedule one day to finish a really long book that was due because I wasn't going to subject myself to the torment of leaving it unfinished for the next five months or so. And also, I am a bit of a germaphobe, so I don't particularly like touching books that could have been touched by anything. Since the ones at my library have plastic coverings on them, sometimes I break and disinfect them, but they still feel dirty to my mind.

      I probably spend far too much time imagining suddenly becoming rich and buying all the books. :P

      Thank you for the tag! :) And thank you for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. I kind of understand what you're saying about not being completely committed to a story because you can't own the book. I don't necessarily think that way, but I think I see where you're coming from. Especially since you reread often.

    I really like supporting my favorite authors! But at the same time, if I don't see myself rereading a book, or if I'm not sure if I'll like it, I usually try to library it first. But then there are series or authors that I will automatically buy. Like The Maze Runner. I just got the trilogy and prequel recently; I was so excited! And I really want to collect all of Marissa Meyer's books. I only have Winter and Stars Above so far. (I recently read that she's working on a superhero trilogy? Which sounds stupendous!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you understand. *nods* I'm quirky, I know, and probably a bit unhinged. I think I might actually have OCD? But hey, I've learned what works for me and what doesn't always, so that's good. :)

      Same here! If I can't be friends with them, at least I want my purchases to fund their morning coffee, or something like that. :P I try to strike a balance, because I only have so much book-buying money every now and then. So when I can library, it's good to make myself do that, because I have libraried some books I also bought and been really glad I didn't waste money on them. But then it also tortures me if I really love the book and have to give it back. And of course, there are some authors that are just auto-buy authors, no questions asked. :P (I KNOW RIGHT? I'M SO EXCITED. A;DFJALSKDFJA;LSDFJ.)

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  4. I'd love to have a big book collection, but I do get most of my books from libraries. I like that I can try a new book I'm not sure whether I'll like without having to decide whether to pay $20 for it. I like that I can read a LOT more than I would if I were buying all of my books because I don't have to worry about the cost. I also just love libraries in general. There's something about walking in to a library and knowing that you're SURROUNDED by books and that you can stay as long as you want and you're not expected to spend money. (I'm just realizing that a lot of what I'm saying is about money - but that's one of the big differences!)

    I do have a pretty big book collection. I tend to buy books in series that I'm already reading and books that I got from the library and really liked. And I definitely see a lot of the advantages of owning books. Especially not having to wait to read them after they're released - that's probably my least favorite part of libraries, and it's usually when I just get impatient and go out and buy the book anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too. Hopefully, when I'm fat and old, I will have managed to accumulate a reasonably sizable one. It is nice to be able to try books without the monetary commitment, even if it doesn't always make me a happy camper. :P I get that feeling when I walk into bookstores, with the added benefit of realizing that, if I want to keep some of the books there, I can just hand over a few pieces of paper and keep the books forever. And I think I need to get used to libraries more. I've had a few bad experiences with them that kind of soured them for me, but hopefully time will change that.

      Same here. It's so frustrating to have to wait behind a long line of others and then to have to rush to finish because there's a long line waiting after you. And I like to have my books around me so I can be reminded of them every day. :P

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  5. I definitely borrow more than I buy. In the past five years, my preferences have become even more pronounced, as we moved to a city with a wonderful library and our nearby Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million went out of business. I do love supporting authors and the publishing business, but books tend to be way overpriced. Also, I dislike ordering books online. Part of the fun in getting a new book is going to the book store and browsing, touching all the crisp, new covers and maybe picking up a notebook (or two). So I probably buy a book every one to two months. In contrast, I visit the library regularly and always have items checked out. I actually like when books are a bit worn- it shows that they've been read and loved before, and it feels like I'm sharing in something that connects us as readers. This is why half of my books are used, and why library books appeal to me so much.
    It has gotten to the point where, even when I do buy books, I don't read them because I want to read my library books. This may be my biggest reason for not buying books. A due date is like a deadline for me, and although it can be stressful at times, it pushes me to make time for reading during my week.
    There's a free table at my library, and every time I go, I scan it for any interesting titles or ones that I've read before. I love used books, and I tend to splurge when I go to my local used book store, so my book collection continues to expand. Unread tomes crowd my shelves, and sometimes their stares fill me with guilt as I lie in bed. Do I have any right to keep bringing home books that will remain unread for who knows how long?
    I think it's very interesting that your reading experience is worse when you know the book will have to be returned. That's never been the case for me, but I can imagine how it would feel, especially when you just love the story and pour your soul into it. This post was excellent, and I (obviously) love the topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand that. When I was growing up, we either bought them at the occasional used book sale or online, or we borrowed them, since we had no brick and mortar stores nearby. It was always a treat when we went on road trips and stopped at physical bookstores. I don't mind buying my books online, usually, because the prices are better, but I also am getting a little leery because more and more of my books have been arriving dinged up to varying degrees, and it would be nicer to be able to buy a new book that's not already dinged up by shipping and packing and whatnot.
      I do have that trouble sometimes, mainly because I panic about the due date and end up prioritizing that over my own books. But it also makes me feel trapped and unsettled, and I don't like it, so I'm trying to limit my library book pile so it doesn't detract from my reading experience by taking over.
      There's a coffee shop about twenty minutes away from where I live, and it has a rack of free books. My sister has grabbed something for me from there, and eventually I want to go through it myself. *nods* But hey, no need to feel guilt. You just have many adventures stored up for a rainy day. And if the apocalypse happens, you will still have new reading material, even if the library is overrun with zombie aliens.
      I'm glad you enjoyed it! (And also, thank you for being understanding, because I know that I am quirky. :P)

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  6. This is a neat discussion! I usually library books when I'm unsure if I'll like them and buy the ones I'm 80% + sure I am going to like. Since I want to be an author, I want to support authors. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun to write about. :) I think that's the balance that I hope to strike, as a general rule, because I don't want to spend money on books I'll regret. Supporting authors is one of my favorite things. :)

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  7. I am a library girl, mostly... I mean, I can get wanting to cherish amazing books, in which case heck yes I will buy them, but in general most books I'm going to pick up aren't going to be that good, and I don't want to waste the shelf space to maintain them when there are books out there I'd rather own, even if I haven't read them yet. And also it's cheaper from the library and I am poor. That kind of thing, I guess. Still, I do think it is important to support writers (and ultimate shame to people who illegally share eBooks). They don't make a lot of money, so yeah. They do need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that libraries are perfect for you, because it would be sad if libraries were only a second option for the majority of the population. I do think libraries are wonderful, because not everyone wants to buy books, and not everyone can buy books. *nods* I, too, am not filthy rich, so I still have to use the library half the time. Grr, illegally sharing eBooks bothers me so much. Like, library or buy, honey, it's not that hard. Just choose one. Because at least the library pays for the copies it lends out, so at least the author gets a little kickback.

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  8. I came in late to the discussion because I only just found this series of posts from Cait, but I want to say that I LOVE these four posts of yours and that you really poured your soul in it and I feel privileged to experience that glimpse -- thank you for these beautiful posts! A lot of these thoughts I think I've felt at various levels myself, but never seen expressed in print, so these are wonderful! ^_^ I think that people should definitely be allowed to do what they want in terms of buying versus librarying and gorgeous covers etc. We're all different and no one should judge anyone else for that! I agree with you in so many ways -- I too sort of put the "feel" of the cover into the story I read, so that I associate them together, especially the overall color-scheme becomes a sort of representation of the story within; and I too love new pristine books (though more often than not I do end up buying used books at library-sales simply because I don't have a job right now and can't afford books otherwise, but whenever I DO buy a new book it gives me such joy!); and I too do tend to prefer to buy books with pretty covers when I can, though sometimes blurbs play an equal part in my decision to read a book (and sometimes the blurb is entirely misleading as well, just like the cover can be--but that's another discussion!). It's so true that we can't read all the books of ever, so having a cover or whatever to "judge" by helps, and also like you said in the one post, it can be an indicator if the publisher/author (in the case of self-pubbed books) didn't put the effort into a good cover then that might be an indication of a less-good book. And I feel the same way about books at libraries, not owning them!! So this post was amazing. I don't think I feel it quite to the extent that you do, but it is sort of like I can forget them easier (like ebooks...) and that they're not MINE and... yes. Though I still love libraries, especially for books I'm not sure if I'll like, and because again, the money issue. ;) And it's so good to support authors by actually buying their books, too, when we are able to!

    Anyways, that got long and rambly because it's sort of a response to all four posts at once... sorry about that. But I just wanted to say I think these were really good posts, so thanks for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Better late than never. :P *gives you coffee beans* Aww, I'm so glad you loved them! That's really sweet of you. You're so welcome! *showers you with more coffee beans* It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who has this relationship with book covers! It does make the reading experience rich, does it not? And you said everything so well! I agree with you on all your points. *nods* I have about 600 ebooks, and I forget most of them, which is sad because then I don't read them as much as I could. :D

      No need to apologize! I absolutely love long comments! :D And you're totally welcome! Thank you for being so sweet. :D

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete